Nigerian Government Online
The Raw Materials Research and Development Council (RMRDC) was established through Decree (now Act) No. 39 of 1987 at a
time when dwindling foreign exchange earnings from petroleum was expended to import raw materials and products which were
available or could be competitively produced in Nigeria.
The Raw Materials Research and Development Council (RMRDC) is an agency of the Federal Government of Nigeria vested with
the mandate to promote the development and utilization of Nigeria’s industrial raw materials.
It originated from the recommendations of a Workshop on Industrial Matters organized by the Manufacturers Association of
Nigeria (MAN) and the Nigerian Institute of Social and Economic Research (NISER) in July 1983.
It was established by Decree (Now Act) No.39 of 1987, but commenced operation on February 10, 1988. It is today, Nigeria’s
focal point for the development and utilization of the nation’s vast industrial raw material
The Raw Materials Research and Development Council (RMRDC) was established at a time when dwindling foreign exchange
earnings from petroleum was expended to import raw materials and products which were available or could be competitively
produced in Nigeria.
The mandates of the Council as listed in the Act are:
Draw up policy guidelines and action programmes on raw materials acquisition, exploitation and development;
Review from time to time, raw material resources availability and utilization with a view to advising the Federal
Government on the strategic implication of depletion, conservation or stock-pilling of such resources;
Advise on adoption of machinery and processes for raw materials utilization;
Encourage publicity of research findings and other information relevant to local sourcing of raw materials for industries;
Encourage growth of implant research and development capabilities;
Advise on and devise awards or systems for industries that achieve any break-through or make innovations and inventions;
Organize workshops, symposia and seminars from time to time designed to enlighten people on new developments and solutions
Consider and advise on special research grants for specific objectives, and
Consider and advise on any other issue capable of enhancing the objectives of the Council.
Raw Materials Research and Development Council (RMRDC)
No 17, Aguiyi-Ironsi Street
Tel: (+234) 094137420, (+234) 094137416
Manufacturers Association of Nigeria (MAN) is a national industrial
association serving and representing nearly 2000 companies in private and public sectors in manufacturing, construction and service sectors of the national economy.
To Promote, in close cooperation with its members, other organs of the Organized Private Sector (OPS), the government and
other stakeholders in the economy, an enabling environment for industrial development, growth and prosperity of the
society at large.
OBJECTIVES includes: To provide for manufacturers throughout Nigeria, the means of formulating, making known and
influencing, general policy in regard to industrial, labour, technical, social, legal and training matters; to develop and
promote the contributions of manufacturers to the national economy through representation on all reputable bodies,
government and others whose work may affect directly or indirectly, the interest of manufacturers; to encourage a high
standard of quality of members products through the
collection and circulation of useful information and the provision of advice; to promote the export of members’ products
through constant enlightenment; to communicate and liaise with kindred and other bodies in the accomplishment of the
objectives of the Association and on subjects of common interest; to fulfil the objectives for which it was established,
it is essential that the Association is fully representative of manufacturing enterprises in Nigeria.
77, Obafemi Awolowo Way, Ikeja, a Liaison office at Abuja and 14 branches nationwide.
Established in May 1971.
MEMBERSHIP STRENGTH: Well above 2000 members, the largest manufacturing industries in Nigeria.
ORGANIZATION: The Association has a National Council, made up of a President, eight Vice Presidents, Treasurer, Chairmen
of Branches, Chairmen of Sectoral Groups and elected members. The National Council is served by an Executive Committee and
four Standing Committees namely; Economic Policy Committee, Finance & Establishment Committee, Small and Medium Industry
Committee and Corporate Affairs and Strategic Planning Committee.
NATIONAL SECRETARIAT: The National Secretariat of MAN is headed by a Director General, who is the Chief Executive Officer
and is assisted by a complement of staff.
SERVICES: Services offered by the Secretariat include the following:
- Public Policy Advocacy
- Monitoring and analysis of government policies
- Economic research and analysis
- Preparation of memoranda on topical industrial and economic issues
- Information dissemination
- Liaison activities
- Capacity building and manpower development
- Promotion and organization of trade missions and exhibitions
- Promotion of Made-in-Nigeria products
- Reconciliation and harmonization of diverse interests of members
- Sectoral and Sub-Sectoral
- Specific intervention on members/Sectoral problems
- Business Consultancy
- Investment and financial advisory services
- Local and international business linkages
- Seminars and Conferences
REPRESENTATION ON BOARD OF GOVERNMENT PARASTATALS
MAN is represented on the following Government Boards:
- Tariff Review Board.
- Utilities Charges Commission.
- Industrial Training Fund (ITF).
- National Advisory Council on Cooperative Development.
- National Science & Technology Fund (Board of Trustees).
- Raw Materials Research & Development Council.
- Governing Board of COREN.
- Nigerian Export Credit Guarantee & Insurance Corporation.
- Corporate Affairs Commission.
- Nigerian Export Promotion Council.
- Productivity, Prices & Incomes Board (PPIB).
- Nigerian Standards Organization.
- National Productivity Committee.
- NECA Coordinating Committee.
- Nigerian Shippers Council.
- Industrial Development Coordinating Committee.
- Governing Council of Federal Polytechnics.
- Nigerian Export Promotion Zones Authority.
- African Growth and Opportunity Act (AGOA) Committee.
- Presidential Advisory Committee on Economic Revitalization.
- Bank of Industry.
SECTORAL GROUPS: MAN has ten (10) Sectoral Groups, seventy-two (72) Sub-Sectoral Groups as well as an Export Group
structured as shown below. The Sectoral Groups are represented on the National Council by their respective Chairmen.
MANUFACTURING SECTORS MANUFACTURING SUB-SECTORS
FOOD, BEVERAGES & TOBACCO
Beer, Starch and other Miscellaneous Food Products, Flavourings, Soft Drinks and Carbonated Water, Flour and Grain
Milling Meat and fish, Tea, Coffee and other, Beverages, Dairy Products, Fruit Juices Tobacco Biscuits and Bakery
Animal Feeds, Poultry, Sugar Distillery and Blending of Spirit Cocoa, Chocolate and Sugar Confectionery, Vegetable &
CHEMICAL AND PHARMACEUTICALS
Paints, Vanishes and Allied Products Industries, Medical and Special Gases Soap and Detergent, Agro-Chemicals
(Fertilizers and Pesticides), Pharmaceutical, Resin Manufacturers, Safety Matches, Domestic Insecticide and Aerosol, Dry
Cell Battery, Petroleum Refineries, Gramophone Records and Musical Tapes Manufacturers Candle Manufacturers, Printing Ink
Manufacturers Toiletries and Cosmetics, Ball Point Pen Manufacturers Basic Industrial, Chemicals Automotive Battery
DOMESTIC AND INDUSTRIAL PLASTICS AND RUBBER
Rubber products Domestic and Industrial Plastics Foam Manufacturers.
BASIC METAL, IRON AND STEEL AND FABRICATED METAL PRODUCTS
Association of Steel Pipe Manufacturers Metal Packaging Manufacturers, Foundry, Metal Manufacturers and Fabricators,
Association of primary Aluminum Producers Enamel Wares, Manufacturers Welding Electrode Manufacturers Galvanised Iron
Sheets Manufacturers, Nail and Wire Manufacturers Group Steel Manufacturers
PULP, PAPER & PAPER PRODUCTS, PRINTING & PUBLISHING
Chemical & Stationery Manufacturers Printing, Publishing & Packaging, Pulp, Paper & Paper Products Sanitary Towels &
ELECTRICAL & ELECTRONICS
Electronics Refrigerators & Air conditioning/ Domestic Appliances Electric Bulb Lamps ,Accessories & Fittings Electrical
Power Control & Distribution Equipment, Cable and Wire.
TEXTILE , WEARING APPAREL, CARPET, LEATHER/ LEATHER FOOTWEAR
Textile & Wearing Apparel Manufacturers Leather Products Manufacturers Carpet and Rug Manufacturers Footwear
Manufacturers, Cordage, Rope and Twine Manufacturers
WOOD AND WOOD PRODUCTS INCLUDING FURNITURE
Wood Products and Furniture (Excluding Metal Furniture) Plywood & particle Board Manufacturers.
NON-METALLIC MINERAL PRODUCTS
Glass Manufacturers, Ceramics Manufacturers Asbestos Manufactures School Chalks & Crayons, Cement Manufacturers.
MOTOR VEHICLE & MISCELLANEOUS ASSEMBLY
Boat/Ship Building, Automobile Components Manufacturers Electric GeneratorsAssemblers Miscellaneous Machine & Equipment
Manufacturers, Bicycle Manufacturers Motorcycle Assemblers, Horological, Motor Vehicle Assemblers.
MANUFACTURERS ASSOCIATION OF NIGERIA EXPORT PROMOTION GROUP [MANEG] SERVICES TO MEMBERS
- Non-oil Export Development and Advocacy
- Non-oil Export Facilitation
- Assistance to access Export Incentives such as Export Expansion Grant (EEG), ECOWAS Trade Liberalisation Scheme (ETLS), etc
- Support in the design and implementation of International Trade Fairs, Exhibitions, Missions and Contact Programmes
- Assistance in processing Products Standards Certifications – SON MANCAP,etc
- Referral Services
- We’re Nigerian Focal Point for Accessing ECOWAS Commission’s ECOBIZWORLD Trade and Investment Opportunities
- Implementing Multilateral New Export Programmes such as UNIDO Export Consortia Programme Nigeria, International Trade
- Centre Geneva Export-led Poverty Reduction Programme, etc
- Major Partners in NEXPORTRADE Houses Ltd – a PPP mutual trade houses company, partnering for Exports/Imports in ECOWAS and African countries
- Interface on Regional and Multilateral Export Opportunities
- Access to credible Importers in ECOWAS countries and globally Etc
77 Obafemi Awolowo Way, Ikeja,
P. O. Box 3835, Marina, Lagos,
(+234) 01741567074, (+234) 017390076